Ci Live: Innovative, Hands-On Training for the Building Community
Join Construction Instruction for Ci Live!
This session will provide an in-depth discussion of the ever-increasing challenges presented to the industry from increased air tightness and R-values of wall assemblies, making a connection to material and design choices, and creating high performance walls that lead to improved moisture and air flow performance. We will examine key connection points – such as foundation to wall and wall to attic – and we will also look at new and existing insulation techniques to safely increase the thermal effectiveness of wall assemblies.
- How insulation works
- High performance walls and exterior insulation
- Roof systems design and applied details
- Foundation systems that warm, dry and reduce pest and soil gas invasion
During this session we will discuss the ever-increasing challenges presented by changes to building codes and energy programs. We will discuss material and design choices as well as changes in consumer expectations for creating high performance buildings. We will focus on the science behind making walls more durable, safer and more energy efficient by utilizing exterior insulation, without compromising cost effectiveness and build ability.
We will cover application techniques, the real science and parameters of insulation and how insulation works in building enclosure components – walls, foundations and attic systems – from the chemistry behind spray foam to how fibrous insulation really works. We will also explore the many roof options that currently exist and will provide proven methods for ensuring a long-lasting roof on your next high-performance home. Additionally we will dive into how to build foundations with effective water-, air- and heat-flow management strategies, including strategies to help maintain a dry, comfortable home for a variety of foundation systems including full basements, crawlspaces and frost-protected shallow foundation systems.
What You’ll Accomplish:
- Identify the increased importance of key air and weather barrier details to maintain long-term durability
- Understanding the physics of how insulation works in buildings
- Understand the total thermal effectiveness of wall systems and how/where to safely increase it
- Identify construction detail options for the installation of different exterior insulation strategies in a traditional wood framed wall system
- Identify construction detail options for the installation of different insulation strategies in traditional framed wall systems
- Understand which foundation systems create long lasting air, heat and moisture control
- Understand the importance of soil gas control
- Discuss insulation strategies for a variety of foundation systems
- Review techniques to manage the effects of liquid water on foundations
- Understand the importance of roof design with regards to water management strategies
- Discuss roof design strategies for peak thermal performance
Breakfast and Lunch will be provided both days, with a happy hour reception at the end of day 1.
There are numerous hotel options from many of the top brands very close to the Training Center on 44th Street between McDowell and Van Buren. If you are looking for specific recommendations, here are two options that are more commonly-used by our guests.
Hilton Garden Inn Old Town Scottsdale (CI Group Rate)
7324 East Indian School Road
Scottsdale, Arizona 85251
Hampton Inn Phoenix Airport North
601 North 44th Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85008